Gajar ka halwa is a popular Indian sweet or dessert that prepared using milk, sugar and red carrots. We consume gajar ka halwa mainly during the winter season and believe me or not my mother makes the best halwa on earth hehehe.
You can try these recipes as well –
This recipe which I’m going to share here is my mother’s recipe. The quantities and ingredients are being advised by my mother. Therefore, it’s her account that I’m narrating. Depending upon your choice and taste, you can increase or decrease as per your desire. Also, you can replace sugar with jaggery powder as it will offer you a healthy alternative.
Here’s how to make gajar ka halwa.
|Preparation Time||Cook Time||Servings||Course|
|15 minutes||1 hour||5||Indian (Dessert)|
Nutrition Involved: –
1 serving (Katori) of gajar ka halwa contains –
| Calories – 166 Kcal | Protein – 2 grams | Fiber – 1 gram | Fat – 9 grams | Carbohydrates – 19 grams | Sodium – 68 mg | Potassium – 160 |
Ingredients Needed For Gajar Ka Halwa: –
- Carrots – ½ kg
- Milk – ½ liter
- Ghee – 60 grams
- Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 125 grams
- Khoya – 125 grams
- Almonds & Pistachio – for garnishing
Procedure To Make Gajar Ka Halwa: –
- To begin with, wash all the carrots and peel them properly.
- Then, grate the carrots in small fragments.
- Thereafter, add the carrots and milk in a heavy pan and cook on a low heat unless the carrots absorb the milk.
- Meanwhile, add ghee in the pan along with green cardamom powder.
- Mix it thoroughly for 4-5 minutes on a low heat and sauté well.
- Gradually keep stirring and add sugar, grated khoya and cook for 15-20 minutes on low heat until ghee starts to be shown on sides.
- Consequently, keep stirring in between.
- Hence, serve warm and garnish with almond and pistachio.
- Always use red carrots to make gajar ka halwa as red carrots offer shining to the halwa after cooking.
- Then do fry the carrots with milk only.
- Don’t grate the carrots too thin or they will burn while cooking.
- Also, don’t fry the carrots in ghee as the color may turn black. Do add carrots and milk together and let the carrots to absorb the milk and add ghee afterward.